Sunday, July 1, 2012

The 1st experiments: mouthwash and room refresher spray

I've put these two together because they were just so flipping easy to make!

For the mouthwash, I did the basic "Baking Soda Mouthwash" from BreathMD. It seemed the easiest, I had all of the ingredients for it, and it was flavors that my hubby-man loves! I mixed all the ingredients in a plastic shaker cup, then funneled the into a small juice bottle for the bathroom, and two smaller bottles for us to carry in our day-bags to work.

Ingredients I used:

  • 1cup water
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda (original recipe called for 1 tsp, but I like the stuff)
  • 4 drops pure peppermint EO
  • 4 drops pure tea tree EO
As for the final result, I didn't care for the flavor, but hubby loved it, and as we both cautiously breathed into each others' faces, we had to agree that our breath was pleasant and refreshed smelling. Hubby tested it further tonight when he was cooking dinner. He ate a raw spring onion, rinsed with the wash and then kindly came and surprised me with a big breathy waft in the face. While I could still smell the onion, it was definitely over-powered by the minty freshness of the mouth wash, so the actual experience wasn't as unpleasant as it could have been!

Now that our breath smells great, lets make the house smell good too!

For the room refresher spray I used the recipe for Peppermint Room Spray from "The Prairie Homestead" and it took all of 1 minute to make. The recipe calls for 1 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 10 drops of peppermint EO.  You combine these in a spray bottle, shake, and spray away!

Results of this one were mixed...If you want to freshen up a room, ala Febreeze, in a hurry, this is not for you.  After I sprayed it around, our room smelled mostly of vinegar...that scent did fade about 5 minutes later and left a pleasant lingering hint of peppermint, but I didn't feel it really cut through the stink like Febreeze or a nice incense stick would have. Next weekend I am going to make my own aromatherapy diffusers, so maybe that will work for covering up the stinky in our place! 

For now, I will just get Hubby-man to breath out a lot and maybe that will make our rooms smell nice!

***Update: The refresher spray works great in the car. You only smell the vinegar for about 20 seconds, then it is peppermint all the way. It is also working better in the house now too. Still a strong vinegar smell at first, but that is dying off quicker, and leaving more peppermint...maybe the solution just had to sit for a day or two to achieve its full potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cheers for the 2 cents!